The Ministry of Culture, Sport and Tourism has recognised a house in Ha Noi's Tay Ho District, where President Ho Chi Minh lived and worked in 1945, as a National Historical Site.
Nguyen Thi An's house in Ha Noi's Tay Ho District has been listed as a national relic site. VNA/VNS Photo
The house of Nguyen Thi An in Phu Thuong Ward was the first stop of President Ho Chi Minh in August 23-25, 1945, on his way from the Viet Bac resistance base back to Ha Noi to read the Declaration of Independence on September 2 that year.
The declaration marked the foundation of the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam, now the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam.
The President worked with senior Party officials such as Truong Chinh, Vo Nguyen Giap, and Tran Dang Ninh during his days at the house.
On November 24, 1946, President Ho Chi Minh made a second visit to the house where he talked with local residents and officials.
An's house is now looked after by her paternal grandson Cong Ngoc Dung, who said he was pleased that the ministry realised its true value and historical significance.
With 14 objects and tens of documents and images related to the late President’s stay, the house was recognised as a memorial house of President Ho Chi Minh and opened to visitors in 1996.
In 2019, it was listed as a municipal-level historical relic.
An was the wife of Cong Ngoc Lam, chief officer of Phu Gia Hamlet, Phu Thuong Commune in Tu Liem District, now Phu Thuong Ward in Tay Ho.
The area was part of the Party Central Committee’s revolutionary base from 1941 to 1945. Local residents supported and protected many senior Party officials here, including Truong Chinh, Hoang Van Thu, Le Duc Tho and Hoang Tung.
An's house is the 1,165th historical site of the capital city.